Tal Band is a senior partner, a member of the Board and the Chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group.
Tal represents high-profile clients in litigation before Israel’s civil courts and the Patents and Trademarks Office (Israel Patent Authority) on all matters relating to patents, trademarks and copyright. He represents local and foreign clients in complex litigation to protect their intellectual property rights, including know-how and trade secrets. Tal also represents Israeli clients with global operations across multiple jurisdictions, in close cooperation with leading litigators in the US, the UK and worldwide.
Tal’s clients are leading players in the pharmaceuticals, life sciences, defence and security, telecommunications, media, manufacturing and retail sectors, as well as investors, universities and start-ups.
The world’s top-ranking legal guides regularly single Tal out as a first-tier Intellectual Property litigator in Israel.
Tal has been described by Chambers Global as “The most prominent IP litigator in Israel“, “a fantastic IP trial lawyer who is intelligent and can be counted on for first-class legal work“, as well as being “one of, if not the most gifted litigators in the country“, by the World Trademark Review. IAM Patents 1000 also described Tal, stating that “His knowledge, deep understanding of the complexity of the issues at hand, creativity and vast experience set him apart from his peers and have certainly raised the bar for the required level of argumentation before the various instances and other legal forums and tribunals”.
Tal served as President of the Israel Chapter of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights (AIPPI) between 2004-2016, as Chair of the AIPPI International Membership Committee between 1995-2004, and is still active in the international organisation. Tal holds the AIPPI Award of Merit for his extensive service to the association.
Tal is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Tel Aviv University Faculty of Law (2010- present). He leads the cooperation between the firm and the Faculty, which established the S. Horowitz Institute for Intellectual Property.
Tal was Chair of the Intellectual Property Committee of IATI (Israel Advanced Technology Industries) between 2010-2014, Chair of the Intellectual Property Committee of Lex Mundi between 1997-2001 and Vice-Chair of the Lex Mundi Intellectual Property Group EMCA (European) between 1997-2001.Tal served as Chairperson of the International Conference on Intellectual Property and Business that took place in Israel in November 2013, focusing on the topic: Economy of Innovation. Following the Conference’s success, a second conference was held in March 2016. The conferences were organized by the Israeli chapter of AIPPI, in collaboration with various organizations, all with significant footprints in the Intellectual Property world: WIPO, AIPLA, Law Schools, the Israel Patent Office, Israel’s Ministry of Economy and more. The conferences reached out to industry and businesses alike, and joined forces with the Academia, the judiciary and government.
By invitation, Tal is a regular speaker at Israel’s major law faculties where he lectures on Intellectual Property issues.
Tal has been a member of various public expert committees appointed by the Government of Israel to review legislation in various fields, in particular the Law Revision Committees overseeing the Patents Law, the Trademarks Law, implementation of the TRIPS agreements, practice and legal proceedings before the Patent Office and the Standards Law. Tal played a key role in negotiations with the United States Trade Representative on the scope of Intellectual Property protection in Israel.
Tal is a regular contributor to practitioner and international reference books on Intellectual Property, and has written the Israel chapters in the following legal works:
- The Patent Litigation Law Review: Israel | 4th Edition
- Compensation for Employee Inventions in Israel: How Employers Can Minimize Exposure to Potential Claims? (Expert guides, 2020)
- Intellectual Property and the Coronavirus (Expert Guides, 2020)
- Patent Protection for Second Medical Uses (Wolters Kluwer, 2020).
- Co-author of the Israel chapter in the Study on the Legal Aspects of Supplementary Protection Certificates in the EU (Commissioned by the European Commission, 2018).
- Israel Chapter, the Patent Litigation Law Review, (The Law Reviews, 1st and 2nd Editions, November 2017, November 2018).
- Patent Protection for Second Medical Uses (Wolters Kluwer, September 2016).
- Patent Claim Interpretation: Global Edition (Thompson Reuters/Westlaw, 2012-2013).
- Co-authored the Israeli Edition Guide: Making a Mark – an Introduction to Trademarks for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (WIPO, 2010).
- Country Q&A on Regulation of Pharmaceutical Products in Israel (Practical Law’s Life Sciences, 2009/10).
- The International Intellectual Property Litigation (FT LAW&TAX, Sweet & Maxwell, 1997-2010).