Aviation and Transportation Law has been part of our firm’s practice since the 1940s, if not before. Among the firm’s first clients in this field was British Airways Overseas Corporation (BOAC), which began operating flights to the region in 1940 and merged with British European Airways in 1974, to form British Airways PLC, which remains one of our clients. Over the course of many years, our Aviation and Transport Group has accumulated extensive experience advising clients in these fields, providing both matter-specific and ongoing legal counsel to foreign and national airlines, satellite operators, suppliers of rolling stock and suppliers of international courier and transportation services. Our advice is sought on all aspects of their business operations, including general corporate work, tenders, negotiation of commercial and operational agreements, acquisition and financing transactions in Israel, regulatory matters and court proceedings involving industry-specific disputes and liability claims.
As part of the continual process of ensuring that we provide the most current advice in the field, the firm maintains contacts and affiliations with international professional organizations, enabling it to advise clients of the latest developments in the aerospace sector. Our expertise in the field has been recognized by various legal directories including The Legal 500, which has described our firm’s team as part of a “deeply respected firm with a long-standing and renowned aviation department. Often instructed on air cargo claims, traffic control and other matters connected with airports. Has noted strength in the regulatory and contentious arena and is regularly engaged in disputes involving high-profile airlines. Also represents lenders in aircraft financings”.
Our clients are drawn from all spheres of the aviation, aerospace and transportation industries and include the Ryanair Group, British Airways, El Al, the International Air Transport Association (IATA), Laudamotion, Blue Air Aviation, Smartlynx Airlines, MyWay Airlines, Amerijet International Airlines, the Flying Cargo Group, Space-Communication Ltd., Minrav Holdings Ltd, Shapir Civil and Marine Engineering, Solel Boneh, CNR, China State Construction Engineering Corporation Ltd. (“CSCEC”) and Oron Group.
The Group’s team handles a wide range of contentious and non-contentious matters, including:
- Representing aviation clients in court proceedings involving industry-specific disputes and liability claims, including:
- Representing carriers in class actions filed against them, including those relating to competition law, consumer protection law and other passenger-initiated actions.
- All types of passenger claims, including claims involving boarding policy, alterations in flight schedules, delays and cancellation of flights, personal injury and baggage claims, and property loss and damage.
- Damage to aircrafts, third party damage and cargo claims.
- Regulatory work including route licensing, flight/overflight permits, alliances, airline membership programs, competition law and other regulatory matters.
- Airport-related issues, such as ground-handling contracts, airport charges, air traffic control and slot allocation.
- Air and maritime cargo claims on behalf of parties and their insurers.
- Acquisitions, disposals and financing of aircrafts and satellites.
- IT contracts, sales agency agreements, maintenance and support agreements, licences and facility management agreements.
- Representing non-aviation transportation clients in a range of construction and infrastructure projects, including ports, roads, highways, inter-city light railways, inner-city light railways, railway tunnels and underground and at-grade stations.
- Our expertise includes:
- Advising clients on all aspects of the tendering procedure and process.
- Advising on corporate and joint venture issues relating to tenders and construction projects.
- Advising clients on an ongoing basis regarding daily contractual and strategic issues pertaining to projects in execution.
- Project and construction agreements, including management, development, operation, maintenance and transportation agreements, including contracts based on FIDIC models.
- Commercial leases.
- BOT and PFI concession agreements.
- Project finance and banking.
- Environmental and land use regulations, and litigation involving environmental law and land use disputes.
- Handling disputes before the full range of courts and tribunals and providing advice in relation to any dispute relating to construction or infrastructure projects, in particular those relating to the design, construction or operation of railways, ports, tunnels and roads.